Chattanooga Boating Accident Lawyers
Boating is a fun, leisure-time activity for many of us. The lakes near Chattanooga and our beloved Tennessee River are busy destinations for motor boating, personal watercraft and even just floating during our hot and humid Tennessee summer months. Boating and water sport activities require just as much serious attention to safety as driving an automobile, but many water enthusiasts don’t think about that.
The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) Boating Division publishes a lengthy report of our state’s boating accident statistics every year. The only boating accidents included in the report are those that result in a personal injury requiring more treatment than first aid, property damage of $2,000 or more, a missing person or a fatality.
Here are some Tennessee boating accident statistics from the 2009 TWRA report:
- The watercraft most commonly involved in boating accidents were motorboats.
- The most common types of boating accidents involved collisions with other water vessels.
- The day on which accidents were most likely to occur was Saturday.
- The age groups most likely to be at the helm during a boating accident were 21 to 25 and 26 to 30 year olds.
- Outside of hazardous waters during whitewater rafting accidents, alcohol was the leading cause of boating accidents in Tennessee.
That’s quite a reminder about the dangers of being on the water. Boating accidents can cause property damage and passenger injuries, but they can also cause drowning — a heavy price to pay for a fun afternoon in the sun.
After a TN Boating Accident
There’s no reason to accept a boating accident caused by someone’s carelessness any differently than you would a car accident caused by someone else. The Insiders of The McMahan Law Firm want to hear about your boating accident as soon as you are able to contact them. If you or a friend or loved one have suffered an injury in a Chattanooga boating accident caused by another boater, proper supervision of medical care and insurance settlements can mean the difference between feeling set on the road to recovery and feeling overwhelmed with unmet needs. Ask for our help to keep accident reports and insurance claims on track and working in your favor.